Since 1922 the Miami Rescue Mission | Broward Outreach Centers, The Caring Place, has served the homeless and needy of South Florida. Our Broward Outreach Centers were first established in 1992. Our Miami-Dade and Broward Centers serve over 1,300 men, women, and children each day. There are approximately 800 people enrolled in our residential life-changing programs. At the heart of these decades of serving those in the greatest need are our core values.
Compassion is love in action, saying yes when others say no, embracing the inherent value of every human being. It is the nonjudgmental, conscious acceptance of those in distress and a deep desire to see them restored to health and happiness. The Caring Place embodies the love and compassion of Christ, welcoming the least, the last, and the lost of society without judgment.
Hope is to expect the best outcome with confidence. It is a vision for a better tomorrow; the ability to imagine the possibilities for a better life. The Caring Place provides hope to those who have lost hope through a road map for restoration.
Restoration is to regain that which was lost; to become healthy and whole again—physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and socially. As servants of Christ in the world, The Caring Place (Miami Rescue Mission | Broward Outreach Centers) provides resources and a restorative environment that supports those on the path to health and stability.Restoration is to regain that which was lost; to become healthy and whole again—physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and socially. As servants of Christ in the world, the Miami Rescue Mission provides resources and a restorative environment that supports those on the path to health and stability.
Transformation is to alter character and outlook; to experience an awakening and a willingness to change. Our centers provide a safe, supportive environment and effective tools that support individuals in achieving permanent, positive change.
Primary Services: The Miami Rescue Mission | Broward Outreach Centers (The Caring Place) provides emergency shelter, residential programs, job training, education & computer literacy classes, healthcare, transitional housing, permanent housing, employment opportunities for homeless men, women, and children as well as programs for “at-risk” youth.
Brief History: Miami Rescue Mission (MRM) began in 1922 under the name “City Mission” serving meals to the needy. The hurricane of 1926, the stock market crash of 1929, and the following years of The Great Depression caused an increase need of MRM services.
A headline in the Miami Daily News, June 14, 1930 read,
“1,226 at City Mission Cared for Each Day!”
In 1935, the name was changed to Miami Rescue Mission. MRM continued through the difficult years of WWII and in 1947 was formally incorporated with its quarters at 150 W Flagler Street, Miami. The Mission eventually moved from this location in order for the public library to be built. The next location, 716 N. Miami Avenue proved to be the exact spot the city wanted to build the Civic Center.
In 1969, MRM opened the building at 2250 NW 1 Ave. which would become the site of the Center for Women & Children, which opened in 1980. Dr. Frank and Maxine Jacobs became MRM’s leaders in 1975. Their dedication, vision, and hard work led to expanding services to the homeless and needy for the next 32 years. The present President/CEO, Rev. Ronald Brummitt, of the organization has 26 years of experience working with the homeless and needy of South Florida and has served in this role for 12 years.
The Hollywood Campus was opened in 1997 after serving the homeless and needy of Broward beginning in 1992. It was the first center in Broward to offer comprehensive programs for the homeless. The Hollywood Campus has 128 beds for residential programs and 18 emergency beds to serve men, women, and children. It is located at the corner of Scott Street and Old Dixie Highway, near Sheridan Street.
The Pompano Beach Campus was opened in 2002 and has 200 beds for residential programs and 20 emergency beds to serve men, women, and children. The campus is located in the northern part of Broward County near Copans Road. Men, women, and children are served as well as a special program to engage the chronic homeless.
The Miami Campus has served the homeless and needy since 1922. The administration offices, Center for Men, Center for Women and Children, Jeffrey A. Tew Education Center, Community Activity Center-which provides out of school and summer programs for children, Food Warehouse, Health Clinic, and Thrift Stores are located in a three block area off NW 1st Ave. and NW 20th Street. The Centers offer emergency and residential programs. An additional building houses 78 men and has a conference center. The combined Centers provide 390 beds for residential and emergency services.